Followers

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Masculine Happy Birthday

My brother's birthday is coming up and I got some new Spellbinder dies.  Those two statements caused the following card to happen (sounds like a public service announcement).

How I Made My Card:
Black, Square (5 1/4 x 5 1/4) Card Base
Spellbinders Fleur de Lis Squares, #S4-318
Newton's Nook Stamp Set, Simply Sentimental
Patterned Paper, KaiserCraft, 6 1/2 pad, Time Machine, #PP978 (disc on site)
Kraft Paper
Ranger Archival Ink in Jet Black

I was searching through some of my smaller paper pads after Bud tried to step on them and caused almost all of them to fall on the floor, searching for something to make my brother a birthday card.  My brother is a grumpy, manly man so it needed to be a man's card.  No fluffy stuff for him (although he does plant and nurture flowering plants in the summer, to the point that he will move them around on the balcony so they get the best sun. I digress. . .).  When I saw the 2 papers in the Time Machine pad a light bulb went off in my head. I wanted to piece the papers together so that they'd match, but be different and I had just gotten some new Spellbinder dies (on sale, cause I hate paying full price!)and I thought I'd use one of the new dies to cut the papers and then I
could match them up.  And, the pattern on the brown/black paper is raised and shiny - so cool! Unfortunately, the small pad is discontinued on the KaiserCraft site, but, you can find them all over on the internet (and the larger pad is still available on the KaiserCraft site).

I will spare you the agonizing details of how I discovered the easy way to do this and cut to the chase; If you ever want to match papers up like this, cut the small one out FIRST, match it up with the other paper, THEN cut out the bigger piece.  Let's just say I have only teeny bits of the patterned paper left that I used.  So, if you were using these papers, you'd cut the black layer out, match it up with the brown/black design, then position your die and cut it out.  OK once you have gotten your two layers matched up, cut and glued, then stamp your sentiment on a matching piece of paper and use the smallest die to cut that out.  It took me entirely too long to make this simple card but I think it was worth it!
You can see a bit of the shiny black raised pattern on this picture

Thank you so much for reading my post - I'd love it if you'd consider becoming a follower of mine (if you do, please leave me a comment and your blog address so I can return the favor).  I hope you are all enjoying this new year so far ~ fondly, Christi

I am entering my Masculine Happy Birthday Card in the following challenges:
Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge - Anything Goes #3
Oh La La Challenge - #220, For a Man or a Boy
Incy Wincy - For the Men in Your Life
Work it Wednesday (Simon Says Stamp) - Use Something New (Spellbinders Die)
Through the Purple Haze - #116, Happy Anything


3 comments:

  1. Fantastic job of matching the patterns on the paper, even if it did take a few tries! Thanks for sharing at Ooh la la creations
    Jane (see - I'm not that far away LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your brother! It is indeed difficult to match patterned papers. I usually go to my stash of cut paper first before going to the uncut ones. Thanks for sharing your creation with us @ Incy Wincy Designs Men In Your Life Challenge! Good luck!-Maria Giselle B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A most manly card. Your taking the time to match the papers up was well worth it. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)