Followers

Saturday, January 20, 2018

It's Written in the Stars

This is only the second time I've gotten to play with the Lawn Fawn Shadow Box Card die set, but I've had this card brewing in my mind since I bought the Upon a Star Stamps and matching dies.  I've had this set for a while but I have never used it; I just couldn't get this card out of my mind! Now that it's finally made, I can move on <grin>.  Speaking of moving on, I just placed another order with Dies R Us because not only are their die prices insanely low, but they now stock paper, adhesives, Distress markers, and SO much more.  If you haven't been to the store in a while, you need to GO!  Now let's get back to my card; I truly enjoyed making it and I hope you like it.

What I Used to Make my Card:
Black Card
Lawn Fawn Shadow Box Card Die Set, #LF1486
Lawn Fawn Scripty Sayings Stamp Set, #LF844
Lawn Fawn Upon a Star Stamp Set, #LF1407 {New}
Lawn Fawn Upon a Star Die Set, #LF1408 {New}
MISTI
Lawn Fawn Starry Skies Die, #LF1377 {New}
Star/Night Sky Patterned Paper {stash}
Banner - Silhouette Cameo {but you could use these instead}
Hero Arts Intense Black Ink
Scor-Tape, 1/8" size
Embossing Ink
Simon Says Stamp Detail White Embossing Powder
Watercolor Paper
Derwent Inktense Water Color Pencils
Light & Dark Brown Card
Silver Glitter Card
Wink of Stella in Clear
Acetate 


Like all fabulous Lawn Fawn products {the Shadow Box Card is a stand alone die, which means there is no coordinating stamp set}, Kelly has produced an amazing video that you can see here.  However, I changed my card up a bit.  I was inspired by this card that Kelly created {the owner and designer of Lawn Fawn}.  She used a piece of acetate to hold up one of her constellations; she talks about it in the video I referenced above.   Click on the image and you can see where I pointed out the acetate.  Like usual for me, the bunnies I used were already colored with Derwent Watercolor Pencils and cut out.  I actually have a few pairs of the rabbits and the foxes, which come with the Upon a Star set, all colored and cut out, ready to go for when the mood strikes me.

These cards are not complicated, but I took a few photos of how I made the card and how I changed it a bit.  

 On the right hand side, here are the two panels that were cut out from the dies, all the creases and tabs are folded. 

On the left you'll see the two panels attached to each other, but it's not time to do that yet.  

The background paper of the night sky was cut out and attached to the very back panel of the box prior to attaching the hills.

 Here are the panels - I cut out three of them - two I attached as instructed and one I kept separate to cut it down.  The third panel is what I am going to use to attach the acetate components.  This where I changed up the construction of the card.  On most of the shadow box cards made with the kit, there are only two hills.  I needed the third to attach my pieces that will look like they are floating {if it comes out the way I picture it in my mind}.
On the right are all three panels attached to the shadow box on one side.  The left shows the box constructed and how the first two panels {hills} can be seen, but the third one, in the very back, can't be seen.  



I put the box aside and began to construct the banner that I wanted to use. In the photo on the right, I show how I stamped the sentiment on the banner.  I used my MISTI to hold the banner and the stamp in place.  The sides of the banner are folded and I put sticky notes under each side because the stamp is longer than the banner.  This way the over-stamp won't get on the sides of the banner.
The photo on the right shows the banner stamped.  See how there was a bit of over stamping on the sticky note?


Here is a picture of the banner completed: 



Back to the shadow box; here are the three hills attached.  This is the view from the top of the box, the patterned paper is the back and the opening is the front.  On the left are some of the pieces I wanted to use in the shadow box.  I ended up switching them up, which I do quite often when making a card.  I think I want certain things and then I think other things will look better.

As I began to build up the scene, I decided I need a few bare trees to even out the box.  I cut out the small trees with dark brown paper and attached them to the second hill.  Then I cut out the skinny strips of acetate I needed to hold up the heart constellation; at this point I wasn't sure what else I was going to put in the scene.  

I flipped through my dies and came across the Lawn Fawn Starry Skies die set and decided a few glittery stars were just what I needed.  I cut out some of the stars from silver glitter card and attached some to the back of the card {where the patterned paper is} and then I floated some using the acetate strips.  I attached the bunnies and the banner; lastly, I used Clear Wink of Stella around the exterior of the box to give just a bit more sparkle.

On the right you can see a side view of the card.  It was a trial to get a good picture not showing the acetate!  I hope you enjoyed this tutorial as much as I did making it.  Don't forget, the Dies R Us store is carrying more than dies now, check out the new and improved inventory of crafting goodies! Hugs, Christi
Another Look
Don't forget to join in on all the fun at the Dies R Us Challenge Blog.  
There's  a new challenge theme offered on the 1st and 15th of each month
 and one lucky  randomly drawn winner will receive a gift voucher prize to 
the Dies R Us Store.  For your convenience, all the important Dies R Us 
links are provided below.


I am entering my It's Written in the Stars card in the following challenges:
Lawn Fawnatics Challenge - #21, Inspiration Board {see graphic below}
Daisy Chain Challenges - #15, Something New
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Add a Sentiment
Die Cut Diva's - M, Use or Do Something New
a2z Scrapbooking - M, New to Me
Cuttlebug Mania - Valentines
Crafting by Designs - Out of this World
The Rubber Buggy Challenge - #10, Valentine {see graphic below}



 



13 comments:

  1. This is so darn cute! I love that stamp set, I just haven't bought it yet-Thanks for joining us at Die Cut Diva's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial and SO CUTE a stamp set. Darling card and very creative. So glad you joined us at both Die Cut Divas and A2Z Scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great design thanks for joining us at Crafting by Designs Challenge love and hugs Carole x Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the layers and beautiful heart shaped moon and adorable moon and critters. Wonderful tutorial and learned something new. Thank you for sharing your very adorable card with us at The Rubber Buggy and can't wait to see your next card or project with us soon. Hugs Nancy Hill, The Rubber Buggy design team

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a darling creation - love that heart constellation! Thanks for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe super cute project!! Thanks for the tutorial. Glad that you linked up to our New To Me challenge gallery at a2z.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sooooo cute!!! loooove that night sky!! and those bunnies are just SO cute!! thank you so much for playing along with the Lawn Fawnatics Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG so cute. Great job! Mary Ross

    ReplyDelete
  9. great card!! this shadow box die is amazing! Thank u so much for playing with us at Lawn Fawnatics!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Thanks so much for participating in Daisy Chain Challenges this time and good luck :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)