Followers

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Super Simple Candle Upcycle

I had tried to make a snow globe for my sister for Christmas but it was HORRIBLE and ended up in the trash.  Normally I wouldn't have worried, but I had bought my brother a little something and I didn't want to hurt my sister's feelings.  I was stumped and then I remembered a customer telling me about a You Tube video she saw using these flameless candles sold at the Dollar Tree.  I actually had purchased one already and I thought this was the perfect time to try this out.

All you need is the candle, tissue paper, and a heat gun.  The candle and tissue paper were bought at the Dollar Tree and I already had the heat gun.  

This is the actual type of candle I used; they come in cream or white, & I used a white one.  The candles have a wax coating on them, which, when you melt it, the tissue paper "melts" into the wax.  Another technique similar to this is stamping on white tissue paper, coloring it with pencils, and then melting that into the wax.  I will be trying other techniques since these candles are easy to get and inexpensive. 




Here is a picture of the candle I made, unlit: 

The tissue paper I used was out for the holiday season {I LOVE blue and white,

add some snowflakes and I am SO good!} but there are always pretty patterns and options all year round.  In fact, I bet you have some seasonal tissue paper stashed away right now. 


And here is the candle in action.  The light isn't yellow at all, but my camera
refuses to take pictures of light without making it yellow.  The candle battery will last about 120 hours and you can buy replacement batteries.

I hope you enjoyed my simple candle upcycle.  I love to browse at the Dollar Tree; and it is so much easier now that I'm working there.  I would love to hear about some of your Dollar Tree crafts so please feel free to detail them in the comments. Thank you so much. ~ Christi

PS: My sister loves this SO much she wants me to make her more of them!

I am entering my Candle in the following challenges:
a2z Scrapbooking -M, Jan, New To Me
Altered Eclectics - M, (runs until Feb)
Country View Crafts - M, Jan, Anything Goes
Let's Create Challenge - Anything Christmas Goes
Not Just Cards - Anything Goes
Rhedds Creative Spirit - running 'til end of Feb
Crafty Gals Corner - Anything Goes
The Crafty Addicts - #44, Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Something New
Emerald Creek Dare - M, Jan, Anything Goes

16 comments:

  1. Hello Christi..I have added your entry...I have no idea why you were unable to do it earlier..blogger having a hissy fit I expect,lol.
    Fab candle, it looks gorgeous lit..
    Thank you for joining us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit..x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra - Suspect you are correct - blogger seems to have hissy fits a lot lately :) Thank you for the kind complement :) xo

      Delete
  2. Marvelous gift and so pretty. So glad you joined us at A2Z Scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And why WOULDN'T she love it, it's rather fabulous

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab idea it looks lovely I am sure she will have loved her gift. Thanks for joining Lets craft and create. Tammy DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why hadn't I thought of using printed tissue paper before!?! Looks brilliant x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful gift!! Thanks for joining in the fun with us at a2z.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Thanks so much for participating in Let's Craft and Create Challenge this time and good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fab idea for a present! Thank you for joining us at Altered Eclectics this month, Jane (DT) :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. No wonder your sister loved her candle - it's fabulous, thank you for sharing it with us at Altered Eclectics.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful candle! Love this! So pretty!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun and creative idea for a gift. Thanks for joining us at a2z Scrapbooking.

    sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful candle. You made it sound so easy, I think I'll have a go at making one too :-)
    Thank you for playing along with us at Crafty Gals Corner.
    ♥ Lena ~ DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work - your candle looks fabulous! Thanks for joining us at Countryview Challenges this month and good luck!!! Hugs rachel xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)